SALINGER The Official Book

SALINGER The Official Book
DAVID SHIELDS & SHANE SALERNO

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

MY BOOKS THAT NEVER GOT PUBLISHED

Over the years I have had at least three book or writing projects suggested, asked for, etc. by people who could print and publish them that I was fortunate to encounter. Some of them did publish a few articles of mine but when it came to books some other things intervened and diverted things, so nothing came of them except some manuscripts of a sort and some other items along the same way. I was asked by a national educational journal in another country to compile or write a book with this sort of title,A FRIENDLY FOREIGNER. My book and another book by a more prominent contributor to the JOURNAL never got anywhere, although his was actually published before mine and did not sell,etc. so the project to publish educational books was abandoned. Another book project in that same country by a different group of friends and associates, also educaitonal in scope, dealt with a mathematics text book which for various reasons was not published as I had envisioned and left me standing on the corner, in the wind and sun and rain, so to speak, but which proved to be a lesson of importance. The third 'GREAT PROJECT' when I was in that same country, came from a publisher in the US who took my materials and pictures,etc. and was to publish such but then decided not to and to go out of business and sell the company and also the magazine he had established and published and edited and it can still be found on the stands these days, even though he is passed away. Another US Publisher in the same field but with some different orientations wanted me to do a book for him, or rather update and improve a 'special course' he had printed and sold around the world for years,but this did not materialize. I could also mention two or three other 'writing projects' envisioned and partially accepted by some editors/publishers that also were returned to me for different reasons. One of them was that the actual publisher of the periodical became extremely irate when I sort of 'stepped on his toes' in some statements I made to the editor that was looking at my stuff. My friends had all recommended me to the mag(s). Eventually, the mags were discontinued by the real owner of all them and he returned to his first type of magazine love. Many of them are perhaps still on the stands now.

No comments:

Post a Comment